General Rules and Regulations
1. Each team shall furnish their own livestock consisting of one (1)
pack animal and two (2) saddle animals.
2. Teams will have acceptable and qualifying equipment as listed on
the equipment list and diagram.
3. The teams will draw a number, which will represent their starting
gate number and campsite by 8:00 a.m.
4. At the starting gate, the teams will lay out their gear in accordance
with the attached diagram and it will be inspected by the judges. At
this point, the stock may be haltered or bridled at team’s discretion.
5. On the signal “Go” the time will be logged by the judges, and the
teams at the starting gate can begin packing the pack horse and saddling
the saddle horses according to their own style and technique.
6. When the pack animal has been packed and saddle stock saddled,
the team can move out toward Halfway, covering the distance of
approximately twelve (12) miles.
7. The team shall travel the entire route, staying on old road and within
marked boundaries along the highway.
8. Gates through the fences and any obscure parts of the trail shall be
marked with prominent flags or markers.
9. There will be a mandatory 5-minute rest stop at the gravel pit on top
of the Halfway Hill.
10. On arrival at the campsite, each team will unpack the pack animal,
unsaddle the riding stock and set up their camp. Stock may be
cooled off by friends after being unsaddled by team members only.
11. In each tent the stove must be set up with burner and tank (no fuel
please); the bedrolls or sleeping bags will be unrolled and placed in
the tent; the axe, shovel, panniers and saddles neatly placed to the
team’s own choosing.
12. Teams must signal judges when finished. The campsite will be
scored on a scale from one (1) to ten (10), 10 being the best, i.e. a
score of 8 would result in the addition of 2 minutes to total time,
7 = 3 minutes, etc.
13. Entrants must finish with all their equipment that they started with.
14. Littering or unsportsmanlike conduct will not be tolerated.
15. Any deliberate violation of the contest rules will result in a five (5)
minute penalty for each such violation. Excessive rules violations or
poor personal conduct can result in the team being disqualified.
16. Axe and shovel must be visible and accessible, and useable,
17. In the event of any ties, the money shall be divided.
18. There will be a grievance committee composed of three judges. Any
participant having a complaint will within 15 minutes of their finish
time file a written statement with any member of the this committee.
Forms will be provided at the Rodeo office and committee members
will be in this vicinity.
19. Judges’ decision will be final.