What makes the JR Livestock
The young people involved have a goal to produce the highest quality food for your table. Achieving this goal takes a great deal of time & responsibility. Engaging in financial obligations and learning how to manage their own business operations only scratches the surface of the educational benefits. On a small scale as individuals, however, their costs are higher than commercial producers.
YOUR SUPPORT IS VITAL!
When you purchase an animal at the Junior Livestock Auction, you are buying prize winning livestock raised by the youth of our county. It also brings you the highest quality beef, pork, lamb, poultry, goat and rabbit for your dining pleasure.
How the Auction Works - Bidding
You will be provided a sales catalog that lists all of the animals along with their weights and owners. As each animal is led into the ring, the auctioneer asks for bids in cents per pound. The bidding continues until the high bid is reached, with the animal going to the highest bidder. If you want help in the bidding, there are official Auction Committee members who will be glad to assist you. Remember, whether you buy or not, your bidding helps to increase the sale price of the animal.
How You May Use an Animal
• Store in your freezer for a year’s supply of top quality meat.
• Give portions of the meat as special gifts to friends and relatives.
• Donate the animal to a favorite charity or organization.
• If a whole animal is too much for you, split it with a friend.
Service Clubs, Lodges, Unions
• Put on a club BBQ for social or fund raising purposes.
• Donate the animal to needy people in your community.
• Hold a club “meat auction” to build the treasury.
• Give packaged meat to friends. Use meat parcels and premiums for
• Hold BBQ for employees.
• Auction off packaged meat to build employees’ fund.
• Resell animal and amount over market may be an IRS
deduction. Check with your accountant to determine if you are eligible.
Restaurants and Markets
• Advertise that you serve Blue Ribbon meats.
• Display a Blue Ribbon on your menu and elsewhere.
• Publicize Baker County Fair Halfway quality meat in campaign.